April 20, 2012

An Odd Anniversary


Two years ago today we heard the horrific news that there was an explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, killing 11 people, who each had families at home, and sending millions of barrels of crude oil into our precious Gulf.

Amid the shock of hearing this news, residents of the Gulf Coast feared how this mass of oil would effect our beautiful shores. Little did I know how long the oil would flow from its dark origin, but also I had no idea that somewhere in Missouri at an engineering school, an anxious senior ready for graduation, was about to land his first job and be sent to my home to help clean up.


I have no doubt that the forces that brought a Missouri boy to Mississippi in the wake of the largest marine oil spill in history are anything but divine. When Kevin and I are often asked how on earth we met, we just smile and say, "The oil spill."

While I hate this tragic event had to happen, I thank God that it did. I often wonder if it hadn't happened, how I'd ever have met my true love. God truly has a reason for everything good and bad.

So today, we won't exactly celebrate, as we head to our Engaged Encounter marriage preparation retreat, but we give a bittersweet, "Thank you," to the creator who brought us together through a terrible tragedy.

1 comment :

  1. :) This made me tear up. I am so happy for you two!

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest button